Sunday, July 16, 2006

Great Weekend!

Yesterday we hooked up with a family we met last weekend in downtown Portland. They had just moved here from Los Angeles the day before! They have two adopted Chinese daughters. We got together yesterday at Mt. Tabor Park and the kids enjoyed playing together while the parents got to know each other. It's been a blessing to meet another family with so much in common. We're looking forward to doing things with them.




Today we finally went to church! For weeks we couldn't find a church! On Friday we went to a Hawaiian food place called Aloha Grill in Tualitin. Its a bit out of the way -- 25 minutes. The owner is a Korean woman who took to us immediately. She thought I was Korean and said I looked like one of her friends. Must be this new short haircut! Anyway, she told us about her church and invitted us to attend. We ended up going to a different church -- one we learned about at the 4th of July even at Happy Valley Park. The church called Abundant Life just moved to their newly built facility and today was the dedication of their Children's Ministry wing. I had an immediate sense of peace and comfort as we drove down a "country road" to a church on a large wide-open property. It was a bit overwhelming walking in being the new people, but everyone was helpful and polite. The church has about 1100 attendees and Megan was so excited at the new children's facility. It was new and high tech but still had the charm and warmth we've hoped for. Megan immediately fell in love with it and said she wanted to come to church here every week. The style of the church is what we are used to -- contemporary music and message. In fact, the new Small Group Ministry leader just moved here from Saddleback Church! I think I'm going to like it!

This afternoon we headed up to Vancouver, WA, just across the Columbia River. I was surprised at how close it was! Darrall said its probably only 10 miles from where we live! We went to a Parade of Homes and toured houses to see the latest in design and decorating. It was good to get ideas for our new home. Then for dinner we went to another Hawaiian food place! They even had live entertainment. I was enjoying it so much that I was dancing hula in the bathroom while I waited for Megan! (If anyone knows me, I really can't dance the hula -- other than the hip swaying and some hand motions, but not really "telling a story" like you're supposed to!) It was very relaxing!

So we headed over the bridge back to Oregon, reflecting on a productive and fun filled weekend.

Aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey cyd~ God is so good. sounds like he's placing you all in the right place to get plugged in up in the PNW! i'm so jealous reading of your berry picking stuff & just a slower pace of life. i truly miss it.
love, amanda