Thursday, July 17, 2008

Being a CEO

Today while I was driving to meet my ex attorney for my old businesses, I was frustrated at how many times I had to scold the girls and how difficult they had been over the summer. I wondered why I couldn't get them to cooperate.

I realized it was easier being the CEO of a company than it is being the "CEO Mom". Why is that? There were tremendous responsibilities and decisions to make each day. A lot of money at stake, a lot of people to employ, a lot of customers to keep happy. How is it that I could deal with that but struggle with two little girls?

Well, here's the answer!

1. When you run a company, you get a paycheck!
2. Your clients pay you to take care of them.
3. Your employees aren't disrespectful and disobedient, because if they are, you fire them!

In contrast:

1. You don't get paid to raise your children.
2. If your children are disrespectful and disobedient, you have to work harder to discipline them and unlike your clients, they don't appreciate it. And unlike your employees, you can't fire them!

It was amusing thinking how my life has made a 360. Friends can't believe the transition. My friends never pictured me with four kids. Definitely didn't imagine I'd become a minivan mom, but I wouldn't trade my life for anything.

No comments: