Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Woman's Priorities

Darrall forwarded a link titled "Moms Biggest Sleep Mistakes". If you haven't read it, you should. (http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/parenting/02/19/par.mom.sleep/index.html) Some of it will make you question your approach to your children's bedtime. I am guilty of just giving in because I'm just exhausted and can't deal with the struggles. I am guilty of feeling guilty that baby Erin really needs lots of loving and I can't seem to find the time to hold her as much as I should. But the biggest thing I am guilty of is not taking care of myself.

Women and moms by nature somehow feel they have to do everything and be everything to everybody. They use their last bit of energy on someone or something other than themselves. I'm always hearing women talk about sacrificing themselves "for now" because they have to put their families first.

Well, I'm sitting here guilty of the same, and now feeling very spent. The kids have been sick and I feel lousy, but there's kids to take to school, kids to play with, diapers to change, homework, cooking, cleaning, laundry, paying bills, scheduling, more cleaning, more laundry.... Oh I do manage to have "down time" where I sit in front of my computer answering e-mails and watching television programs I'm not even remotely interested in; doing Sudoku puzzles on the web, surfing the internet. But what I don't do is take cat naps, read a good book, and most importantly, spend quality time with God.

I remember telling other women in small groups I've lead, how important it is to make time for God; and here I am, not listening to my own words. Life gets too hectic and crazy, we can lose sight of what's important. I know I don't consciously put God first each day. In fact, these days, it seems like he's been last. And the state I'm in, its very obvious that's what I've done.

It was so easy when I was coaching Moms Ministry, leading small groups, and being part of an Accountability Group. I was accountable and it forced me to focus daily on my spiritual growth. So, do I have to be "forced" to do this? Why is that when my heart cries for a deeper relationship with Him?

Sometimes we have to reach the point of physical, emotional and spiritual depletion before we reach out for the only One who can replenish us. I know my strengths and definitely my weaknesses, and I need to be held accountable daily. Oh how I miss the women in my life who helped me stay accountable.

No comments: