Thursday, November 09, 2006

The View

After the big storm that hit the Pacific Northwest, I was treated to a glimpse of God's splendor -- this view from my office/craft room window. Megan had asked why God made it rain in Oregon, and I told her to look at all the beautiful trees and smell the clean, crisp air. Then she replied, "I love the trees, so I guess I love the rain too." (A side note: after MANY test samples of paint colors that scared the you know what out of me, I finally found the right shade of tranquil blue-green I was looking for and the name is so perfect...Sherwin Williams "Contented". I may not be feeling contented yet, but I know once the busyness of moving has settled and I can enjoy being in my space, I will appreciate the perfect choice.)

To say we are in awe of the colors of Autumn is an understatement. During drives its difficult to keep focused on the road with all the brilliant colors of the changing season. Red, orange and vibrant yellow, so bright it seems to be reflecting the sun. "Wow!" is commonly heard coming from our mouths as we take in the beauty of nature. I wonder if the Oregonians still look at it with the same awe as we do, or is it like going to Disneyland for Californians or Waikiki Beach for Hawaiians? I hope I will never tire of it and will continue to be in awe of the beauty God created in the changing seasons.

Seeing the changing seasons makes me realize that turning 50 is kind of like that. I am in a new season of my life -- a new beginning in Oregon, a new child, new house, and new friends. It is a season of appreciating the friendships I have, what I've experienced and learned along the way, and of embracing what God has planned ahead. There is a purpose to our move to Oregon and little by little, He is revealing to me that as with everything else He plans, it is always good.

No comments: