Okay, could yesterday have been filled with anymore drama for little Erin? Let's start at the beginning.....she has a big ol' cavity in the back tooth. A "trial run" of the procedure went well. She cooperated so they scheduled an in office visit to "take out the sugar bugs". Yesterday morning we head out to the dentist and all seems fine. The minute she see's a new assistant, she decides she's not having it.
They coax her into proceeding, she gets some "bubble gum air" and they manage to get the novocain done and we're ready to roll. Or so I think. Then, all you know what breaks loose. They try to insert a clamp to hold her mouth open and she starts gagging. That was it. She was done with this. After more gentle coaxing, to no avail, and one dental assistant with an "owie" finger and we are done for the day.
I'm upset. She's upset. I am sure the dental assistant wasn't a happy camper either. We think its over, but then Erin starts to freak out because she feels her cheek puffy and she doesn't like it. She proceeds to bite her cheek and pull at it and she's bleeding everywhere!
By this time mommy is a wreck and Erin is one unhappy child. I talk to the dentist about what the next step should be. I've wanted to avoid the whole general anesthesia route but my nerves are shot and we need to get this done. I explain to him that I am okay with proceeding because she's just too strong-willed to know what will happen if we try again. He politely corrects me and says...."no, no. she's not strong-willed, she just has a mind of her own." Oh thank you. That makes me feel better. "A mind of her own"...yeah, great.
Let's add to the drama.....she hasn't eaten in 4 days! Luckily, she's been storing up over the Winter so we weren't too concerned, especially since she loves to drink milk and managed to knock off a gallon during that time. She has also been on antibiotics because of the cavity and an ocassional dose of Tylenol with codeine. Anyone know where I'm heading with this? Yup, no poop for 3 days. But I'm not concerned....she hasn't eaten any solids.....UNTIL LAST NIGHT!!!! She finally realizes it doesn't hurt that much so she downs two cups of peaches and a piece of hamburger patty.
An hour later in her usual "go into hiding when nature calls", she goes into the computer armoire and closes the doors. Cool. I'm thinking "yeah!". Suddenly she comes running saying she poopoo and needs to change her diaper. (Yes, she's still in diapers, but that's a whole 'nother story...keep in mind "a mind of her own"..) We head to her "poopoo changing area" (I prefer doing it in the laundry room where there's a sink JUST IN CASE.) and she stops cold and has that scrunchy face. "Oh, I guess you're not done, huh." "No mommy, not done yet." More of that face and soon she starts crying...."I can't poop". So I'm thinking, no big deal, let's change the diaper, give her a nice warm bath and we'll try again later. She's up on the changing table and surprise...OH MY GOSH!!! I scream at the top of my lungs....dang biggest thing I have ever seen TRYING to come out but IT AIN'T HAPPENING!! I am freaking out. Put the latex gloves on....maybe....yikes! No way! Now what?????
Fortunately, I come to my senses and tell her that maybe if she sits on the toilet it will help. Remember, this is the "mind of her own" child who refuses to go potty on the toilet because "its too hard work". At this point, she is so freaked out and in pain, she agrees to it. She's kind of yelling that it hurts, I'm holding her and nothing is happening. Yikes! Yikes! Brain racing....okay, maybe we have to take her to the emergency room????? So I'm ready to move to the next option when "PLOP" Yes, we have a launch!!!! And Erin says with a smile on her face "Mommy I poopoo in the toilet". Hallelujah!!!! Hallelujah!!!! Erin is a happy camper.
Whew! I'm exhausted. I did have concerns that these two incidences could have left her scarred for life...never wanting to sit on that potty seat again. Or maybe not! There's hope. And then, morning comes and Erin declares "Mommy, I want to wear a panty. I tell Teacher Molly I go poopoo in the toilet!"
Lesson of the day: Look for the silver lining in everything.
A side note: Milk + antibiotics + codeine = CONSTIPATION
1 comment:
Oh boy! What a day! Just FYI the advice I was given (because Eric was constipated most of his first 2 years), put on the latex gloves and then put a little butter up there. It naturally helps things slip out.
Post a Comment